Breastfeeding in a Mei Tai

As part of our “How to Breastfeed Handsfree series” which started here, Sarah takes us through breastfeeding handsfree in a mei tai.

I find Mei Tais the easiest carrier to breastfeed in, as they require very little adjustment from a normal carrying position.

All you need to do is untie the shoulder straps and lower the baby down a little until her mouth is almost level with your breast. It’s OK if she’s slightly too high – she can lean down to reach the breast and I find this better than having her dangling too low in the carrier.

Retie the straps either under her bottom or around her back, but keep them loose until you have her latched on.

To latch the baby on, I usually reach through the side of the carrier and lift my breast to her. Instead of unhooking my bra flap, I lift my breast out of the top of the bra, so that the bra helps to keep it elevated and steady if I’m walking.

breastfeeding in a MT

Once the baby’s latched on, tie the shoulder straps tighter. I usually tie behind the baby’s back to keep her body pulled in close, which keeps her weight steady and comfortable for me, even with her lower and looser than in a normal carry.

This entry was posted in Asian-style Carriers, Babywearing Info and tagged , , , , . Bookmark the permalink.

6 Responses to Breastfeeding in a Mei Tai

1. baby carrier says:

breastfeeding baby in public is not cool in my opinion

2. Steph says:

Sorry to hear you feel that way baby carrier. I think you’ll find you’re in the dissenting minority, however.

How else are they supposed to eat?

3. RachelKM says:

BF in a mei tai is a lifesaver! I had DS in a pouch for the first 4 months of his life and it took us both a week or so to adjust to the MT but now we both love it. In fact, we go out in the kozy several times a day and DS feeds whenever he wants. I don’t have a problem with feeding my baby anywhere, anytime, in front of anyone, but it is nice that the MT makes it quite discreet. I’m sure most people have no idea that’s what we’re doing for the most part! That might be important to some people, and if so, the MT is definately the way to go.

4. Steph says:

A mei tai IS really discreet, isn’t it, Rachel?

One of my first NIPing experiences was on the shop floor of Maceys. I asked my sister if anything was showing and she thought I meant the sales. :)

5. desiree fawn says:

Great post! I just figured out how to feed my babe in the upright position in her cuddlywrap! See here: http://desireefawn.blogspot.com/2009/05/more-babywearing-love.html

! I love it!

6. Megan says:

Oh yahoo
    I need this to breastfeed my colic son upright while racing round after my first child while at playcentre and music classes.
    Thanks so much I’ll be giving this a go today.