Welcome to Baby Carriers Downunder (BCD) Google Group!
We are glad that you have found us and decided to join our community. BCD is a place where anyone interested in carrying babies, regardless of their parenting philosophy or family composition, can come for help and support each other in their babywearing journey.
Before You Begin Posting
The foundations of BCD are respect and understanding; please keep this in mind when you post.
At BCD, we believe in three things: support, respect and understanding. We do not flame at BCD. We believe that everybody has a right to an opinion. We believe everybody has a right to their passions and to voice those passions; but we also believe that we all have rights to differ about them. Please respect BCD as a supportive and diverse community.
We prefer to use Non-Violent Communication (NVC) here at BCD. In simple terms, it means “play nice”! If you’re unfamiliar with the concept of NVC, there is a great discussion on the subject here.
- BCD exists to support people who would like to wear the babies in their
lives (and toddlers, and preschoolers and beyond)
- BCD supports all families, no matter how they came to be, their history or their compilation
- BCD does not presuppose a single method of parenting and is (would like to be) supportive of all loving parenting. Many of us have specific ideas and ideals as parents, but we will respect those that differ to us while respecting our own beliefs.
- BCD does not presuppose that any particular carrier is necessary or that you must spend a great deal to wear your baby. There are plenty of items in your house that will do the job for you. If you’d like to wear your baby without spending a cent, we’d like to help you with that. Conversely, if you’ve been bitten by the bug and have plenty of cash to spend, we’d love to enable you. Large stashes are fun to have, but they’re not necessary to wear your baby comfortably, conveniently and for as long as you both desire.
- BCD as a community does have some opinions on whether some carriers have more value for money, are safer, more convenient or just look fabulous. However, if you want to wear your baby, we don’t care which carrier you have, we’d like to share that with you. If your Bjorn is making your baby smile, or if your grandmother’s handmedown table cloth is letting you get out and about just as you’d like to: we’d love to hear about it.
- You don’t have to be a particular “kind” of babywearer to be welcome here. If you wear your baby once a week to do the grocery shopping and prefer your stroller the other six days, you’re welcome. If you don’t own a stroller and haven’t put your baby down once since he or she was born, you’re welcome. If you fall somewhere in between, are just interested in babywearing, or are merely curious: you’re welcome.
Some useful information about BCD
Basic Navigation Instructions (many of you would have received this in your welcome email when you first joined the group)
More Information on Navigating Google Groups
Commonly Used Acronyms and Abbreviations
Please do not change the subject if you are replying to a thread via email as this will cause the whole thread’s subject to change and is very confusing when keeping track of messages (esp. for those on Digest). Google group uses the message header to group messages together, so even if the subject changes but it’s a reply, the message header stays the same. If you want to create a new post, please send a brand new email to email@example.com instead, or use the “add new post” link on the Discussions page.
New Member’s Introduction Thread
Members’ info (for those who wants to share more details about your family and/or find other members in your area)
Map with BCD members’ location (feel free to add your location here)
Links to some interesting (and useful!) discussions at BCD (TBA)